DT - Automata Animals
Posted by Mr J Chaffey
This DT project has been challenging to say the least! The children experimented with cams and followers allowing them to convert rotary movement into linear movement. They then used their findings to design their toys using CAFQUE design criteria, considering materials, construction, safety and other elements. Then we moved onto construction. One of the challenges we faced was creating the cams out of cardboard. This was not a great material to use and a better material would have been plastic if it was available and we had appropriate cutting tools for this. Having said this, the children have used lots of skills: Cutting and gluing with precision, refining the finish with sanding paper and used prototypes to make refinements. There was some frustration and disappointment as we spent a lot of time trying to get these products finished and working but on reflection, we acknowledged that we did not have the best materials for the task and time was always against us. Having said this, I am extremely proud of the perseverance that the whole class showed and they have realised that these kind of projects don't always work, just like they will don't in careers and jobs. What is important that they kept coming back to look at the problems and thinking of ways to get around them. They did this individually and collaboratively which was wonderful to see.